Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Good Day of Food


So I don't have much time to post before my battery runs out but I wanted to share with you my amazing lunch and afternoon snack I made. For lunch I started with a veggie sandwich made on 12 grain bread(yes it has lots of whole nuts and seeds, yum!). It had sweet yellow bell peppers, a sliver of red onion and fresh baby field greens. This was all topped off with vegannaise my new favorite sandwich spread. Ok so most of you are probably thinking, "what is vegannaise? It sounds disgusting!" But before you judge you must try. It is mayo made out of grapeseed oil. It replaces the egg in the traditional permanent emulsion, with soy protein and mustard flour as the emulsifier. With those ingredients, brown rice syrup, and apple cider vinegar, the vegannaise has a slightly nutty, sweet tang, right up there competing with the mysterious tang of Miracle Whip.

We also made up a great batch of corn cake, the recipe for which I got off of a friend, who found it in a cookbook she received for her wedding. It is real simple and is part cake, part cornbread, almost good enough for dessert. Once it is done baking, simply slather your piece it in butter and enjoy. The recipe is below.

This afternoon I also made tropical fruit salsa and a greek hummus with oregano, lemon juice, tahini, and cumin. Sadly there won't be much for me to enjoy since most of it is going to the women's overnighter tomorrow evening. Hopefully, although late, I will get to Lauren's pumpkin challenge this weekend and have something fun to share.


Corn Cake

  • 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
  • 1 box Jiffy yellow cake mix (or half of a regular one)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup of milk
Beat eggs and milk in a bowl. Add mixes and stir until combined. Pour in a 9x9 square pan and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

1 comment:

Chou said...

Nice pic. ;)